The solution to a food desert is a hydroponic farm. There is a lot of talk about food deserts and the inability to get fresh, affordable foods into some areas of the country. Inner cities are often considered a food desert area. Because of the lack of larger grocery stores in cities, fresh foods are not as available. Having access to healthier foods improves the overall health of a community.
One of the ways that food deserts can be combated is by creating shipping container farms. Shipping containers easily convert into hydroponic growing areas that can be used year-round.
Shipping Container Hydroponic Farms
Using shipping containers to create a hydroponic farm is environmentally beneficial. To start, you are repurposing a container instead of allowing it to sit empty or enter a landfill. When you set up a hydroponic system, you are no longer stripping the soil of nutrients or overburdening the soil. Since these containers create a controlled environment setting, you will not need to use any type of pesticides to protect your crops.
Additional benefits of creating shipping container farms include:
- Portability. You can place a shipping container anywhere there is a flat piece of ground. This includes empty lots in a city setting.
- You can move these containers at any time it is necessary and use them immediately in the new location.
- Climate controlled. The containers are climate controlled. This allows for year-round growing and higher yields with each crop.
- Harvesting is easier and does not require large equipment to complete.
- Helps conserve water due to being an enclosed system.
- Can grow fruit, vegetables, or even farm fish in these containers. This creates a fresh food source for any area.
- A 20-foot shipping container can yield the same crops as 1 acre of land.
Everything used in the containers is environmentally friendly, including using LED lights and insulation to help regulate power usage.
Portables 360 Builds Containers That Are Used For Hydroponic Farms
When you are thinking about creating a hydroponic farm, Portables 360 will help convert any sized shipping container into your growing center. We install lighting, shelving, and water systems. Call us for whatever else you need to start your farming container.
Several companies have already begun to use shipping containers to grow crops in city settings. The success they are experiencing is amazing. It is very encouraging! Soon, the term food desert will be something of the past.